Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Month of Faves: Books with Kick-@$$ Girls



A Month of Favorites continues today with five favorites in our choice of a theme.  I wasn't going to do this one, actually, because I didn't think my reading really fit any certain themes this year, but then I spied on the list of examples, "Books with Kick-ass Girls."  As it so happens, I've read oodles of books with strong female characters this years, so many that they easily surpass the five called for in the post prompt.  So here are 5 books with female characters that prove that they can be vulnerable and afraid but not overcome, in fact, they are the stronger for conquering their fears in their own unique ways.

Divergent by Veronica Roth - Here's an obvious one. Yes, I finally read the Divergent trilogy this year. I realize I'm behind the curve, but Tris is pretty fierce, no?

The Pearl That Broke Its Shell by Nadia Hashimi - Hashimi's story of two girls in Afghanistan who triumph in a culture that threatens to rob them of control over their own lives and destinies was one of the highlights of my year.

Say What you Will by Cammie McGovern - Despite the hype, this book wasn't one of my favorites this year, but it definitely has one tough girl. Amy has cerebral palsy, computer to talk, and can't eat without difficulty, but she refuses to let her disability define her or stand in the way of her dreams.


Beauty by Frederick Dillen - Carol grew up on the mean streets of Detroit, holding her own among all the boys on her block. She grew up to shut down failing factories for a living, but where she really proves her strength is in saving a factory and its town and herself in the process.

The Mapmaker's War by Ronlyn Domingue - Aoife is a girl who never accepted the place that was set out for her. Rather, she becomes her kingdom's mapmaker, discovers a new settlement, and risks her life to warn them of danger from her own kingdom. Facing exile, she finds the courage to start over and raise a daughter who is even more kick-ass than she is.

Who's the strongest female character you read about this year?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those but really want to get to The Pearl That Broke Its Shell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Tris in Divergent but way less in the 2nd and 3rd books of the series.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arabella Godwin, the title character in Belle Cora by Phillip Margulies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Divergent and Insurgent but not Allegiant yet. Tris was pretty fierce, Katniss too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this one was easy for me...I just finished An Untamed State and Mirielle may the strongest female character I've come across ever. I haven't read any of the books on your list! Oh - and like Tanya...Katniss also!

    ReplyDelete