Monday, October 9, 2006

Leafing Through Life's Review Policy

It seems that my lovely little blog just recently turned two. Two! That's old. Given its longevity and the occasional interest taken in it by authors/publicists/editors, I figure maybe it's about time to record an official review policy, so that we can all work together happily and hopefully save each other some time.

To start, I'm happy to receive books to review. Quite happy, indeed. It's a pleasure and a privilege to be able to read books before or near release date and talk about some great new books here. That said, this is my hobby. I have a full time job, a social life, and the occasional family and church obligation to attend to. If I accept a book for review, it may take weeks, but more likely months for me to read and review it, but if I like the book enough to read to it to its end, I will review it.

Given the premium on time in my life, I am predisposed to be very choosy about what I receive for review. I especially enjoy contemporary/literary fiction, memoirs, and young adult fiction with the occasional sci-fi/fantasy/thriller thrown in for variety - these are the genres I would most likely accept review copies in. If you are looking for a reviewer for your self-help book, your bodice-ripper romance novel, your cookbook, or your business/management book, I'm not your girl. I also don't do e-books. My apologies, but I have no e-reader, and I spend enough time at my computer as it is. If I can't pick it up and take it with me to the couch, I probably am not going to read it. I am also hesitant about self published work. While I may consider it, I reserve the right to be extra-super-picky about any self published books I choose to accept for review and will judge it against the same standards of quality that I would a book from a major publishing house.

All of my reviews are honest. I will state expressly whether I did or didn't like a book and endeavor to convey the reasoning behind my opinion. I also post my reviews to my LibraryThing account as time allows.

I think that's everything. If you've got a book you think I'd like that I can review for you, please contact me at toadacious1 at yahoo dot com, and I look forward to working with you.

No comments: