Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm So Glad Were Recommended To Me

Well, it's been about a month since I did my first Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish, so I suppose maybe it's time I gave it another go. This week's topic is "Books I'm So Happy Were Recommended To Me," so here are 10 books that I'm so glad I got a few nudges or perhaps a strong shove from people to read, else they might never have ended up in my hands, let alone become some of my favorites!

1. Complications by Atul Gawande - I'm not sure who put this on my radar first, but I'm pretty it's when Eva wrote about it that I knew I shouldn't wait any longer to read it. It's the first non-fiction book I've read in the space of a weekend, I think, ever. Gawande tells tales and asks important questions about the U.S. health care system in a way that's incredibly readable. (My Review)

2. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - I think Becky gave me the push I needed to go buy this one. So glad I did. I can't remember the last time I got so caught up in a book. (My Review)

3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - My dad nagged me to read these since about as soon as I could read chapter books. When I finally gave in, they became one of my total favorites!

4. After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell - This is one of those books that somebody was so taken with on Bookcrossing that they persuaded me with their sheer enthusiasm for it to join a bookring for it. I loved it, and now count Maggie O'Farrell among (the few the proud) my favorite authors. (My Review)

5. Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going - Susan at West of Mars loved this book, and as a result so did I! (My Review)

6. Pied Piper by Nevil Shute - I'd heard of this author's more famous works, but never even knew this one existed until my book club leader who teaches it to his high school classes picked it to read the year before last. And it's so good. (My Review)

7. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene - Okay, so this book wasn't so much recommended to me as forced upon me as required reading in high school, but it's one of the few, the proud that instead of actively resenting, I actually loved and imagine myself rereading some day (which is a big deal if you're at all familiar with my reading habits).

8. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - Okay, so this isn't even my favorite Ann Patchett book, but it introduced me to one of the few authors I count among my favorites. Not to mention getting my attention on the Orange Prize, my favorite literary award to follow.

9. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - I had not ever even heard of Neil Gaiman until I started getting involved with Book Crossing. This is the book that totally hooked me!

10. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn - This one I attribute to my Bookcrossing days, too. A kind of a graphic disturbing tale of circus freaks is not exactly the sort of thing one picks up without a little outside prodding. I'm glad I gave it a shot, it's one of those books that, while disturbing, is absolutely compelling, too.


How about you? What are some books that you might never have picked up that you ended up loving because of someone's recommendation?

13 comments:

  1. I loved Bel Canto. I haven't read anything else by this author. After reading your post I think I will be checking out another one. I would love a suggestion of another good book by Ann Patchett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise that you got book recommenations through bookcrossing *heads off to take a look*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read Complications - I think I would like it. Thanks for the recommendation!

    A favorite book I might not otherwise have picked up is The Plot Against America by Philip Roth - it was a book club selection many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BookCrossing was a great way to find new, fantastic books. Not as much now. I don't know why.

    Here's my gratitude list: Top Ten Books I'm Happy Were Recommended to Me. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I wouldn't even know how to answer that one anymore as sooooo much of what I've read in the last four or five years has been because of book blogging friends' recommendations. I loved reading your list here. There are several I never even heard of before...so maybe they'll make my happy recommendations list soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have to give my English teachers some due credit for making me read books I otherwise would never have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie O'Farrell is wonderful! If you haven't read The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox yet, do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to read Fat Kid Rules the World when I saw a Sherman Alexie character say it was one of his favorite books. I really want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm jotting some of these titles down since I've never read any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Bel Canto on the list for, I think, this month, so I'm glad to know it's worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone recommended Bel Canto to me a few years ago. I'm glad to see it on a list.

    Check out my list here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pied Piper was my fave Nevil Shute when I first read them all as a teenager. I re-bought this book a few months ago when it was reissued - must dig it out and promote it up the TBR list now you've reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pied Piper was my fave Nevil Shute when I first read them all as a teenager. I re-bought this book a few months ago when it was reissued - must dig it out and promote it up the TBR list now you've reminded me.

    ReplyDelete