Sunday, May 8, 2011

BEA, Book Blogger Con, and Other Bad Excuses


Greetings, Blogosphere! Oh how I have been missing you!

You see, all winter, I did pretty much nothing but stay home and read and blog and read blogs. I even managed to form myself into a fairly consistent poster, if not a frequent one. Then April came, and I started doing things and making travel plans and the pace of life started to pick up. Then May came and the pace of life spun out of control and will probably continue to do so.

I finally decided that BEA and Book Blogger Con are indeed in the cards for me this year. I'm all registered up and ready to go. Okay, maybe not ready to go. Maybe in a planning fervor attempting to be ready to go. It's really not long now. I managed to totally luck out and now have two great roommates with a possible third to come.

Ironically, registering for BEA/BBC and all the plans that need making and the logistics that need working out make me into a terrible blogger. I've been so busy figuring what to do and who to see and when to see them and how to get there that I haven't had much time left for actual blogging. I'm sure I'll get back on my blogging horse. If not this week, then the week after, and if not that week then definitely after BEA. But trust me, I have not forgotten you, dear blogosphere, and I shall be back right after I finish dogsitting, planning travel to NYC and Boston, making caramel apples (ARGH!), trying to get a new job, having ginormous yard sales to raise a few extra bucks to pay for my travel extravaganza and so on.

That all said, if you're going to BEA and want to meet up for lunch or dinner or to wander the show floor together or some other enticing activity, please send me an e-mail at toadacious1 at yahoo dot com. I'm planning to be in NYC from around noon on Tuesday May 24th until around 1 on Friday the 27th, and I'd love to put some more faces with names. I fully intend to e-mail some people to twist their arms until they agree to hang out with me, but it seems the harder I try the more things are getting left until the last minute, so if you want a BEA buddy please don't hesitate to send me an e-mail, and we can skip the whole late in the game arm-twisting thing. ;-)

In other news, the book keeping me company this week that was from hell (the week, not the book!) has been Tabloid City by Pete Hamill. I'd heard that Hamill writes New York so well, and now I see that it's absolutely true. From what I've read so far, I'm eager to dig into Hamill's other books, many of which are languishing on my shelves. In terms of subject matter Tabloid City isn't exactly happy, but it's still probably been one of the best things about my week and a book that's getting me in that New York state of mind. Perfect timing!

I'm off to take my mom to the movies for Mother's Day shortly. Hope all you mommies are having a great Mother's Day!

Have a lovely day, all, and happy reading!

7 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Pete Hamill's work. I reviewed one of his books, Snow In August, a few weeks ago. Sooooo good! Hamill definitely has a way of writing NYC! I'm really looking forward to reading Tabloid City!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to find time all week to email people and I STILL haven't managed! I barely managed to write to you and Heather! Crazy. I really need to buckle down and work this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope I get to see you at BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful time at BEA. BTW...Tabloid City is one review that I will be anxious to read. Hope its a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to BEA too! Hope to meet you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know all about life getting in the way of blogging. It just happens once in awhile!

    And yay for being at BEA. I'll be there from Sunday night until Saturday, so I'm sure we'll run into each other. We should hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be there! I will also be at the dinner on Wednesday night with Heather and gang. Looking forward to meeting you!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete