1. I'm Movin' On - Rascal Flatts - This song came out my senior year of high school when I was so ready to get away and be somewhere else and be somebody new. How fitting. "I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
each one is different but they're always the same.
they mean me no harm but its time that I face it;
they'll never allow me to change."
2. Boston - Augustana - "I think I'll go to Boston,
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town, to leave this all behind...
I think I need a sunrise, I'm tired of the sunset,
I hear it's nice in the Summer, some snow would be nice..."
Because I did move to Boston to start a new life...
3. Home - Daughtry - ....and then I came home. And I'm pretty sure that on the whole I don't regret it, except for when I do, obviously. "But these places and these faces are getting old,
So I'm going home."
4. River of Dreams - Billy Joel - I almost moved to Montana, too. My dad and I drove there in the dead of winter in my ancient and not as decrepit as we thought Subaru which made it from Pennsylvania to Montana and back. For some reason I remember listening to this song during some of the prettiest part of our trip through eastern Wyoming with the sun setting and snow falling on the mountains out in the distance. *sigh*
5. One Last Drink - Enter the Haggis - Last year I fell in love with Celtic rock music (partly as a result of my lingering memories of a trip to Scotland - see #10 - and partly as a result of The Departed)...and this song. It made me smile. It still does. The song title link is to their MySpace if you happen to be interested in hearing the song...
6. Only Hope - Switchfoot/Mandy Moore - "When it feels like my dreams are so far, Sing to me of the plans that You have for me over and over again."
7. I'm About to Come Alive - Train - This was last year's song and this year's, too. I feel like I've been in limbo since I graduated from college, and I'm waiting to come alive again. "Don't give up on me, I'm about to come alive..."
8. Damn - Matchbox 20 - "This old world well, don't it make you wanna think damn?" Well, I've had tons of days where I couldn't argue with that line...
9. Both Sides, Now - Joni Mitchell - Come on, who do you want to listen to when you want to be depressed? And gosh, it's depressing when most of your best friends graduate and you've got one year left. Other things are depressing, too, but that's what I was depressed about when I was really into this song...
10. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers - My best friend and I went on a Haggis tour of Scotland in my junior year of college. What an awesome time, including a few appropriately overcast misty days and one sparklingly, blue-skied astonishingly beautiful day while on the isle of Skye. Our slightly cracked yet hilarious Scottish tour guide really got a kick out of making us all sing this song while he was driving crazily around the mountain roads of the Highlands. You know your bus driver is truly a out of control when you wake up one morning to find one side of your body is sore from gripping the seat in front of you trying to hold yourself in your bus seat all day, right?
11. The Dance - Garth Brooks - This one goes way back. "And now, I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end, the way it all would go. Our lives are better left to chance; I could've missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance." Because lately I've been enjoying things for the experiences...definitely not the outcomes.
12. Both Hands - Ani DiFranco - My college had an acappella group, the Four Scores (in Gettysburg...get it? I'll pause here so you can groan and roll your eyes if you get the idea) that recorded this song and I couldn't get enough of it. I learned the lyrics, and it's still one of my favorites for singing in the shower, of all places.
13. Life for Love - Enter the Haggis - "No man, no man is an island way out on the water all alone to stand, but I am tired of the dry land, ready for a new shore, ready to expand."
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
#10 is a favorite of mine. Happy TT.ReplyDelete
Honestly..I dun know most of these songs..maybe I can go check them out..ReplyDelete
Aw!! Some great tunes on that list! (I'm a big fan of Train)..I just *luv* 500 miles by the Proclaimers!! that's one ya just GOTTA sing along to!ReplyDelete
Good list I love number 1 and 11 great choices Happy TTReplyDelete