Sunday, March 31, 2013

Loose Leafing: Happy Easter and Good Stuff



Happy Easter, everyone! 

I actually did my Easter celebrating with both family and friends yesterday.  Instead of having several Easter activities spanning two days, we compiled them all into one.  It was a fantastic idea.  Not only was it a nice low-key dinner, we also had fun dyeing eggs together, and celebrating my now eleven-year-old cousin's birthday.  Even better, yesterday's weather was beautiful, while today's is kind of drizzly, so all in all, yesterday was the perfect un-Easter and today is the perfect day to relax and catch up on some reading and blogging. 

After one day of nice weather and hope for some more in the near future, it's dawned on me how down in the dumps I have been about, well, everything.  With the return of decent weather, I've found a new drive to try and focus on the good things about life instead of being always mired in the less good things.  So, today I'm not going to tell you about how I'm playing a months long game of whack-a-mole with various physical ailments that seems not to be flagging or how my job will soon be piling on more work that might make it physically impossible to stay there in the long term, but I will tell you about...

Dogsitting.  I'm live-in dog/house sitting for a friend of an acquaintance again.  This has been one of those mixed blessings where it seems like it should be easy money, and in a way it is, but then a slew of unexpected events kind of put a wrench in the whole "easy" part - escape artist Yorkies, malfunctioning garage doors, an assortment of murdered small animals, etc.  Now, on the eve of the last day of what will probably be my last time dogsitting (they're moving away), I've come to enjoy the time to kind of put my life on pause, relax, step back, and re-orient myself in what's going on with me because I don't have to be bedeviled by the details.  That, and a little extra cash is nothing to sneeze at, too.  Even with all its bumps in the road, I really think I'm going to miss this. 

Getting My Picture Taken With the Easter Bunny.  A co-worker of mine and I happend upon the Easter Bunny in the halls of the hospital where we work on Friday, and we couldn't pass up the chance to nab him for a photo-op.  I truly can't remember the last time I had my picture taken with the famous Bunny, but it put a smile on my face.

Travel Plans.  Travel plans are always good and I finally have a trip to D.C. set in stone.  I'm looking forward to wandering museums, marveling at monuments, and dining on delicious food a few weeks from now.  Even better, it seems like this could be just the beginning of a good season of getting out of town!

The West Wing.  Speaking of D.C., how excited am I that I and the parents have re-subscribed to Netflix just in time to stream the episodes of one of my very favorite TV shows ever that I had totally forgotten was one of my very favorites.  Here's to a show that shows you that your jaded attitude toward politics is totally valid while at the same time giving you some hope that there might be out there in politics a few decent people who want to do some good for the American people in whatever way they can.  Watching it again, I'm pretty sure I might be able to blame Aaron Sorkin in large part for my political science degree that I'm putting to no good use.  I think younger me wanted to be as articulate and passionate as his characters.  Younger me also failed to notice that said articulate and passionate characters all had (fictional) law degrees from Ivy League universities and probably weren't getting anywhere paying their law school loans while they were busy serving at the pleasure of the President.  Oops.  My career aspirations aside, I freaking love this show, and it's put me off nearly all the shows that are actually airing new episodes right now

Keeping In Touch.  The whole living in somebody else's house thing that I've been doing this past week really helped eliminate most of the distractions that keep me from doing a better job keeping in touch with a lot of friends.  I spent a lot of Friday night phoning and texting some people that I'd been neglecting, and it was good to catch up with them, so good I hope to do it more often.  Turns out I miss these people.  They should all travel with me, and then we could have a good stuff double-whammy!

I think that wraps up the good stuff for now.  That's quite a bit more good stuff than I expected, as it so happens.   Here's hoping I can find so much good in the coming weeks. 

So, what's good in your life?

4 comments:

  1. I wish you'd share the picture of you and E. B. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your Easter early was so lovely! Because lovely people deserve lovely things, you know! And Kathy's right--no fair taunting us with talk of Easter Bunny pics and not sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I with Kathy, I was hoping you'll share your picture of you and the Easter Bunny with us. ;-) Now you make me want to watch The West Wing! I haven't watched an episode yet just part of one. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "escape artist Yorkies" - I can just see it! Glad you are enjoying this opportunity to take a step back - we all need that from time to time.

    ReplyDelete