Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books To Read in a Day

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where they're always coming up with genius ideas for brain-stimulating and bookish top ten lists.  Today's list is of books that can (and should!) be read in one day.  For a slow reader like me, this is a better than average feat.  Here are a few great books I've read in a day (or close to a day)!

1. Fat Kid Rules the World by K.L. Going - Somebody from Bookcrossing sent me this book, and I just cracked it open to read the first paragraph like I do when I get a new book...except I practically didn't put it down again until the last page was turned!

2. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray - I read this on the Sunday or Monday of one Memorial Day weekend when I was so sick I shouldn't have been able to focus on anything.  Sitting on the porch devouring this book in huge gulps almost made me forget how miserable I was feeling.

3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - Say what you will about its quality, the plot to this book is kind of addicting.  I read this at Christmastime and couldn't be bothered to stop to decorate the Christmas tree, which is crazy because normally I can't wait to do Christmas-y things. 

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I was reading this one at Christmastime, too.  In fact we were in the car on the way to some Christmas festival that I'd been dying to go to for years.  I rarely even read in the car anymore because it tends to make me feel miserable after not too long, but I couldn't put it down, really, it was tough to put it down even long enough to go to the Christmas event!

5. Any Harry Potter Book by J.K. Rowling - Can I tell you how many times these books actually made me late to work?  Had I been jobless or less of a stickler for good attendance, I would have read these books in a day each!

6. The Call by Yannick Murphy - This is kind of a surprising appearance for this list.  Usually a "read it in one day" book is all about the kind of plot that makes it so you can't stop turning the pages.  I was so in love with the vet who is the main character in the story and the sort of whimsical, unique way this story was told that I couldn't put it down, and it saved me from a massive reading slump!

7. Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer - I can't believe I almost forgot this one!  I started reading it on a flight home from Florida, got home, and kept reading it.  When I finally finished it, I was so involved with it that I actually felt disoriented when I turned the last page and had to re-enter the real world.  Everything that was happening in the book felt too real!

8. Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty - When I was in college and hardly had time for all the pleasure reading I was missing, I picked this up at the local outlet stores.  It's told all in notes and letters, is hilariously funny, and I easily finished it in a day while disregarding all homework responsibilities.

9. Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger - I don't know that I did read this in a day, but I easily could have.  I used to be so against books trying to be clever written all in correspondence format.  I'm obviously a changed person since this is the second one on this list alone.  This book is the by turns hilarious and heartbreaking story of an immature baseball star and the Dennis the Menace-esque kid that, against all odds, he ends up befriending.  It's priceless!

10. Sparrow Road by Sheila O'Connor - Okay, maybe this is a fluke, and I read it all in one day because I read it for Readathon, but it's still a great read in one day book, especially in winter when you will totally drink up its delicious portrayal of summer.  Even after I interrupted my Readathon with a Zumbathon which was totally exhausting, this book still managed to hold my attention well into the night!

What's a book that you loved so much you read it in a day? 

11 comments:

  1. You know, I got Fat Kid Rules the World because of you about 5454 years ago (well, blog years anyway :P). About time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list... I should get around to reading some of the books you mentioned above. I just followed you BTW :) Feel free to check out my blog @

    Here's my Top Ten:



    Thanks!!
    -Riya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops.. something happened to the links...? Here they are:

    My Top Ten : http://www.teenbookguru.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-1.html

    Thanks again :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I only have one book on that list unread - The Call. I'll have to pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! There are a few on here that I have not read that look like ones I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Twilight and the Hunger Games at Christmas-time too... it was probably good so that I actually had the time to finish them as quickly as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list. Quite a few here I haven't even heard of! And some I found myself nodding at. I would have read all the Twilight books in a day if I didn't have to work, that's for sure. And the first time I read the HP books I devoured them in a day, and then scrounged around for loose change in order to rush out and get the next one before the shops closed! Ah good old uni student days! ;)

    I'll have to check out the others.

    Here's my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember skipping class in college to read Twilight. And I want to read Fat Kid Rules The World.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The books I've read on this list - like The Hunger Games - totally rocked so I'll have to check the others out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh a Great and Terrible Beauty I read that back in High school and I loved it. I never did read the rest of the series.

    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/04/top-10-tuesdays-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I read Twilight on a flight from Florida to Oregon and was done by the time we landed. Not, my fav, but a quick and addicting read. I did LOVE the Gemma Doyle books though!

    ReplyDelete