Sunday, April 8, 2012

Loose Leafing: Speculative Randomness

Greetings from Chez Leafing!  It's Easter Sunday and lovely outside, and by the time this posts I'm sure I'll be on my way to church and then onward to Easter dinner where I will gorge myself with some glee on ham and my grandmother's zillion cheese mac and cheese. This week was, for the most part, lost to work and sleep. I was surely fighting of a nasty sinus cold, so even though I was never sick enough to entertain the thought of calling in sick to work, I was exhausted enough by the end of my shifts to sacrifice all of my unpaid time to sleeping copiously. Needless to say, I was not so sorry when the weekend finally came. I have accomplished next to nothing so far this weekend but for dyeing a few eggs and devouring about half of Alex Adams' forthcoming post-apocalyptic debut, White Horse. It is thrilling and suspenseful and engaging, also creepy, gory and gross and, dare I say, oh so slightly hopeful?  It's proving much more difficult to put down than anything I've read lately.



White Horse is apparently, as are many of its post-apocalyptic and dystopian counterparts, the beginning of a trilogy. I don't think I realized that it was a series starter until after I'd started reading it, and it got me to thinking.  Shouldn't we be just a leeetle concerned that all these books about the slow ending of or, at the very least, the severe messing up of the world that will probably end in the world ending (if followed through to their logical conclusion) are rarely ever stand-alone? I mean, it's nice having good things to look forward to, but wouldn't it be wildly ironic if you didn't get to read the end of the best post-apocalyptic tale since sliced bread (there's a screwy metaphor for you) because, um, like, the world ended before you got to read the sequel to the sequel of the book about the world's slow, screwy end (complete with both love triangles and the occasional bloodbath).  Just thinking about it kind of makes my head hurt just a bit.  Or maybe I just need another nap.  It has been a long week after all.

This might possibly be evidenced by the fact that when I woke up on Thursday morning, I could've sworn there was a mockingjay singing outside my window.  Last I checked, mockingjays only hang out in fictional Panem of Hunger Games fame, so perhaps I'm falling victim to book-inspired delusions now (because I'm sure I don't have quite enough actual problems to deal with).  Nonetheless, when I heard this bird singing, I couldn't help thinking that I'd never heard a bird singing quite like that before and it kind of had the tune of what would strike you more as a human song than a bird song.  So, obviously, it was a mockingjay.  They exist for reals.  Don't forget you heard it here first from Megan at Leafing Through Life not from "some brain addled blogger" like you keep telling your friends.  ;-)

In other news, I've taken up playing DrawSomething on my iPhone which is proving hazardous to my reading.  Why enjoy quality stories when I could spend my time creating abysmal drawings for all my friends that actually make me laugh with their badness?  Wanna see some bad drawings and keep me (and possibly yourself) from becoming the better blogger that lurks inside me (and you!)?  I'm pretty sure I'm toadacious1 on it, so maybe you can look me up?  I drew somebody a very cute Dracula this morning.  Sure, Dracula and cute are probably words you can't usually string together in a sentence, but you know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Anywho, I'm off for Easter adventures.  Have a great holiday, all!

4 comments:

  1. Haha, one of my completely selfish fears is that I will die or the world will end before I get to finish some series of books, particularly those in the fantasy genre in which authors seem incapable of telling stories in just one volume. I am glad i am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope your Easter's been grand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sick this past week too--glad you're recovering! I am resisting DrawSomething--Words With Friends eats enough of my time already ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not often that I start a new series. There's too much to keep up with like the pub. date of the next book plus trying to remember the characters. . . I usually wait until a series has several books out before I start it.

    I hope this week is much better for you.

    ReplyDelete