Saturday, January 3, 2009

War Through the Generations Reading Challenge



Anna and Serena are hosting a series of very interesting challenges directed at reading books about wars and their impact. The first is a World War II challenge. Participants are asked to commit to reading at least 5 books by the end of 2009. I've always been interested in reading books about World War II and the Holocaust, so I'm hard pressed to resist signing up for this challenge. Given my track record with challenges and the fact that I've already gone overboard joining them, I'll be shooting for the minimum 5 books.

Here's a tentative list...

I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia Bitton-Jackson
Resistance by Agnes Humbert
Guernica by Dave Boling
Pied Piper by Nevil Shute
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

I'm quite excited about this challenge, but, I should mention, even if you're not the challenge joining sort or have already overburdened yourself with challenges for this new year, you should still check out their great WWII Reading List which is a pretty great resource if you happen to be interested in reading some great books from this important time period. Being a total list hound, this may be what drew me in the first place....

6 comments:

  1. It was the reading list on the challenge website that convinced me to join. :-) And now, everywhere I turn I am finding books that fit into this challenge. I've always had a special interest in the WWII era.

    Good luck with the challenge! I really want to read Boling's book too, although I don't know if I'll get a chance to this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I really didn't need another challenge, but that's going to be hard to say "no" to! At the very least, I'll be checking out the reading list. I don't think I've heard of a single book on your list, so I'll be eagerly awaiting your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LF - If I had the time, I could read about a hundred books for this challenge. I know there are at least half that many lurking on my shelves gathering dust waiting for me to get around to them. And with that list, soon there's sure to be more! And again - good luck to you as well! =D

    Debi - I sure didn't need another challenge either, but from the moment I saw this one, I knew I was a goner. And then I saw the list, and it was done. These challenges, they're merciless. They just wait around until you're feeling weak and then they reel you right in! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for signing up for our challenge! I'm glad everyone is drawn to the reading list. We've been working hard on that one, and we know there's countless other books we could add! Hope you enjoy the books you've listed.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for signing up for my challenge Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently read your post about Irène Némirovsky and wanted to let you know about an exciting new exhibition about her life, work, and legacy that opened on September 24, 2008 at the Museum of Jewish Heritage —A Living Memorial to the Holocaust in New York City. Woman of Letters: Irène Némirovsky and Suite Française, which will run through the middle of March, will include powerful rare artifacts — the actual handwritten manuscript for Suite Française, the valise in which it was found, and many personal papers and family photos. The majority of these documents and artifacts have never been outside of France. For fans of her work, this exhibition is an opportunity to really “get to know” Irene. And for those who can’t visit, there will be a special website that will live on the Museum’s site www.mjhnyc.org.

    The Museum will host several public programs over the course of the exhibition’s run that will put Némirovsky’s work and life into historical and literary context. Book clubs and groups are invited to the Museum for tours and discussions in the exhibition’s adjacent Salon (by appointment). It is the Museum’s hope that the exhibit will engage visitors and promote dialogue about this extraordinary writer and the complex time in which she lived and died. To book a group tour, please contact Tracy Bradshaw at 646.437.4304 or tbradshaw@mjhnyc.org. Please visit our website at www.mjhnyc.org for up-to-date information about upcoming public programs or to join our e-bulletin list.

    Thanks for sharing this info with your readers. If you need any more, please do not hesitate to contact me at hfurst@mjhnyc.org

    ReplyDelete