Sunday, June 19, 2016

Loose Leafing: Currently

It's been forever since I've just written a nice little (little, bwahaha! Yeah, I'm so concise) personal post about what's happening in my life, the universe, and everything.  Usually because nothing much is happening.  Nothing much is happening this week either.  I just, uh, bought more stuff than usual and feel compelled to tell people about it.  But let's pretend that not what it's all about and start out with what I'm...

Reading:  Just finished Kevin Baker's 650-some page historical Dreamland, the longest book I've read since....wait for it.....2012.  I know I tend to shy away from really large books on occasion because I am the slowest reader, but I still can't believe it's been that long since I read a really long book.  Thanks go to Kindle for making it seem much more approachable than, say, an epically large hardback.  I enjoyed the book, though I did think there were a few storylines that could have been dispensed with.  Review to come.  Also, I'm accepting pats on the back for having actually read a few e-books this year thus far instead of just buying cheap ones by the dozen. 

Anyhow, I've decided to take a break from the overlong and the very literary with Kasie West's The Fill-In Boyfriend, which is proving enjoyable, and just the YA romance-y thing I need right now.

Watching: Baseball!  I'm so excited to have just subscribed to MLB.TV at a steeply discounted Father's Day discount (Happy Father's Day to...me?).  I used to watch a ton of baseball when I was younger (I was a crazed Yankees fan - still a fan, just less crazed now), but I didn't get to watch too much when I was living with my parents. Then when I moved I cut the cord and went to all streaming TV which is great but not so friendly to the sports lover.  So now, I will stream all the baseball. 

Hating:  Social media in the wake of any national tragedy.  Or even less, say, "widespread" tragedy.  I hate how being so easily in communication with each other seems to encourage more division instead of less.  I hate that we skip right over grief and sympathy to get to fear, anger, judging, arguing, and self-righteous, often uninformed, political rhetoric.  I can't help feeling like this immediate, often insensitive reaction to everything that ever happens plays as big a role in our extremely disturbing political climate right now as anything else. 

On a lesser scale, I am hating screen fatigue.  I have a computery job, and I'm starting to realize that my lack of blogging has less to do with lack of time then it has to do with lack of interest in gazing at a computer screen for a couple more hours after doing it all day.  Most weekdays, I'm actively repulsed by the idea of computers by the time I get home, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Loving:  Summer.  I am, on the whole, so much more ambitious and social and active in the summer, and with the ankle breaking incident, it's been even longer than usual since I've been ambitious and active.  It's been great hanging out with friends and family and having leftover ambition to read and blog with more regularity.  Also, I love that the hanging plant that I bought 5 weeks ago is still alive.  Unprecedented!  His name is Robert.  (Robert Plant?  Get it?  I'm sorry, my whole life is pretty much just a really long dad joke).

Traveling: Speaking of life in the post-ankle break world, I was stoked to discover that my recently unbusted ankle, though not completely back to its former self, will now tolerate some light vacationing, something I've been worried about for a while.  My dad and I took a short vacationlette to Baltimore and rode the Water Taxi and shopped/ate our way around Fells Point and shopped at the awesome Inner Harbor Barnes and Noble (okay, so we shop a little much when we're together) and took in a baseball game - Yankees vs. Orioles.  It was good to get away for the first time in a long time, and I'm duly encouraged that I'll be able to do a little more of that again!


Buying:  All the things!  I went to a book sale and bought some books this week (though, admittedly fewer than usual).  I bought a mystery box of lovely fake flowers made from recycled materials from  Eco Flowers after being mercilessly prodded by a friend.  Glad she's a good "salesgirl."  I love my flowers!  The OrganATTACK card game from Awkward Yeti, the only comic I've ever been known to fangirl over.  So hilarious and on point.  This t-shirt from Montgomery Biscuits because, come on, that mascot is adorable regardless of whether I've ever been to Alabama or like the Tampa Bay Rays or whatever.  Cute mascot and their team store is called the Biscuit Basket!  And, oh, somebody stop me.  Really. 


Pondering: Having an actual schedule and a linky for the Choose Your Own Comment Adventures.  Okay, I pondered having a schedule for about a minute before I decided that would probably wreck at least half the fun for me.  You know, obligations and me being kind of contrarian and the screen fatigue and everything.  But a linky, maybe?  I dunno, would any of y'all play along with me and link up even if I wasn't on a specific schedule?  Maybe I just post one, say, once a week (any day!) and if anybody happens to have an adventure that week, they can link up?   

That's all for me this week.  Hope you're having a lovely Sunday!



13 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear someone is active during summer! I go outside and just have to turn around and go back inside. Too hot!

    I hate social media too. Every time something horrible happens I have to watch friends and family lash out at each other. Where's the love?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind heat during the day if it cools off at night. It's no fun running the AC all the time, but I'm definitely still more lively in the summer! Must be all the extra sunlight. :)

      Delete
  2. I grew up a Yankees fan and somehow morphed into a rabid Mets fan in the mid 1980s. After my kids were born in the early 90s, I drifted away from the game and now feel like it's finally time to come back. But to what team? My family will be happier if I go back to the Yankees... which will most likely be what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope you love MLB.TV!

      Delete
    2. Yankees to the Mets? That's different! Come back to the Yankees, stat! ;-)

      I'm *loving* the MLB.TV!

      Delete
  3. Boy, did this hit home: "I hate how being so easily in communication with each other seems to encourage more division instead of less." YYYYEESSSS. I had to unplug for a few days just to move forward. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely had to put up blinders for a chunk of last week. Ugh. Shouldn't social media make it *easier* to like people instead of so much harder??

      Delete
  4. Congrats on finishing such a long book; these days I tend to stay away from anything with more than 400 pages, so I'm impressed. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. *take a bow* Finishing those long books is a big deal, and I'm pretty sure it didn't even take me super long, so that's a big win!

      Delete
  5. I'm hating social media right now, too. Especially how into it my kids are and how much it influences them in the wrong ways. It's hard to teach them self-control. Heck, it's hard to teach it to myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self-control is impossible. I actively dislike Facebook and yet every night I sit in front of the TV refreshing it endlessly on my phone. Ugh. Hope you have some success putting the social media madness in perspective for your kiddos.

      Delete
  6. I'm right there with you in regards to social media. Such a terrible tragedy in Orlando and instead of bringing us together, it's done the opposite. We're going to a minor league game for the 4th. I'm so excited. I haven't been to a baseball in too long. It sounds like you are already making the most of the summer. :-) You'll find me mostly indoors. We're not taking a vacation this year because of my husband's new-ish job. That's okay. We'll survive.

    I actually have scheduled in a Choose Your Own Comment Adventure one day next month (meaning, I plan to do it--not that I have yet) and am quite excited about the whole thing. :-) I'm in favor of a linky!

    Have a great week, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great time at the minor league game! We've got a fairly local minor league team that we try to hit up a few times a summer. It's definitely one of my favorite things to do.

      Glad you're planning a comment adventure! Hopefully by next month I'll have that linky on my posts. The wheels of change turn slowly here it at Leafing Through Life, but I will try and speed myself along toward progress. LOL!

      Delete