Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Choose Your Own Comment Adventure! (2)

I had so much fun the first time around, and had so much glorious free time during this past long holiday weekend that I gleefully embraced the opportunity to go on another spontaneous commenting adventure.  If you haven't been watching, this is part of my plan to plug myself back into the book blogosphere, visit some old friends, and maybe even make some new ones.  The premise is, I start with the first blog in my feed reader that has a post with a comment, and then follow the comments on subsequent posts on an unpredictable journey around the book blogosphere, with only minimal cheating to avoid duplicates and/or wandering too far afield from bookish blogs.  Then I post my journey here so you can see who I discovered and what they're up to!


My first stop (look, if you pay attention you'll see who I've been neglecting on Feedly all this time!) on this week's adventure was It's All About Books where Suey is playing along with Jenni's Thirty Days of Books, but she's getting more bang for her buck by doing a few prompts at a time. Suey unexpectedly loved a book by one of my favorite authors - Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. My Internet Explorer is inexplicably not displaying the blogger comment box, but I will not be foiled. Happily it shows up in Firefox!

Next up is Jenni Elyse herself who is, unsurprisingly, playing along with her own Thirty Days of Books. Today's prompt is "a book you hated." Jenni hates the final book in the Chronicles of Narnia Series - The Last Battle. I didn't...hate it, that is, but Jenni's got some solid reasoning behind this choice, nonetheless.

Onward to more 30 Days of Books with Laura at Blue Eye Books who is sharing her favorite classic, The Great Gatsby, which is one of those classics I should really read again now that I'm not being required to read it for 9th grade English.

Guess what's next? More Thirty Days of Books with Jenny at Alternate Readality! Jenny's packing multiple prompts into one post like Suey. Jenny chose Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge for her "book you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving." Cruel Beauty is a Beauty and the Beast retelling that is languishing on my Kindle, where cheap e-book deals go to die. Sounds like I'd better get to reading it!

My streak of Thirty Days of Books ends at Bookmark Dragon. The first thing I notice is Melissa's awesome header graphic, but once I get done with being distracted by shiny things, I'm wooed into putting both The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty and Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff onto my wish list.

I may or may not have paused my journey for the night before continuing on to Literary Exploration where Anna is spotlighting YA novel Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee which happens to have a beautiful cover. I think I'll enter her giveaway for a signed copy.  Wish me luck!

Renee at Two Peas in a Pod is Waiting on Wednesday. She's looking forward to The German Girl by Armando Lucas Correa coming out in October, and now I am too!

Leeanna at leeanna.me is reviewing If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo, a book about a trans teen trying to fit in at a new high school. The author is also trans which makes this book that much more attractive for its authenticity. Wish list! In other news, I'm the first comment on the post (I kind of love being the first comment), so I'm bouncing to an older post to pick up the next link in my comment adventure...

Things are a little less than lighthearted over at Happy Indulgence where Aila is imploring people to pause before they rashly ruin friendships with something so trivial as a difference of opinion about a book on social media. While I may not know the whole story from just one post, I know that posting a thoughtful, respectful negative review should never be grounds for personal backlash.  Again I find myself glad to not be involved Twitter drama.  Yuck.

And last on today's journey is In Love with Handmade where Pili is sharing her unboxing of May's Illumicrate, a UK based quarterly bookish subscription box. Looks like the box contains one book and lots of other bookish goodies. Fun!

Thanks all for your support of my venture, and as ever, I invite you to join in the game for a good commenting time.  Graphic is free for the borrowing, and I'd love to hear about it if you go on a comment adventure of your own!

What's one great blog post you read today?

13 comments:

  1. What's so fun is all those blogs are new to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All but a couple were new to me too! So many blogs to discover!

      Delete
  2. So fun! You visited some of my favorite blogs this week as well as some I've never heard of. I really need to do this commenting adventure thing for myself ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great idea to go on a comment adventure! I'm glad you found me, because it led me back to you and your fun blog! You're inspiring me to go uncover more book blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thanks for visiting! I hope you'll play along and find more fun blogs to read. :)

      Delete
  4. Still in love with this, you clever woman! And after all these years, you are still making me laugh-->"is languishing on my Kindle, where cheap e-book deals go to die" :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I sometimes will visit blogs based on comments in other posts, but never thought to post about it. It's a great way to highlight other blogs and give them some love. I enjoyed reading about your journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I've sometimes gone down the rabbit hole of other people's blog lists, but I haven't tried a journey through the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is such a fun idea! I've been meaning to start branching out to more blogs lately as I feel I've gotten stuck in a rut always visiting the same blogs. This will be a great way to get out of that rut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others- great idea! It is nice sometimes to follow the comments and is a great way to discover new blogs. I think this sounds really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been so remiss in commenting on the blogs I already know and love that I doubt I could go searching for more, but what a great way to meet new bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Megan!

    You visited my blog recently, and I didn't comment back right away....so I apologize for returning the favor so late. I finally made it, though!

    I decided to comment on this post first because I think this is an AWESOME idea!! This is also a great way to stay in touch with friends, as well as to meet new bloggers!

    It looks like you're going to be posting this every Tuesday. If so, count me in!! I do have one suggestion: how about including a Linky widget, so people can link up to your post? That would make it even MORE fun!!

    I greatly enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for your thoughts! Also, thanks for the visit to my blog!! Have a GREAT day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I'm also following you with GFC now!! :)

    ReplyDelete