Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Boredom and Boredom Begat Boredom

My blog is lonely...and I'm pretty sure the title of this post is probably not going to incite great excitement. I need a schedule, wherein I write here more often (and less at a time). Unfortunately, I'm kind of in a bit of a lull with my reading and don't really want to post reviews for the books that Elle sent me because that just seems kind of uncouth despite their not expressly telling me not to. Not to mention the fact that two out of three are on pace to - how can I say this nicely? - not make a lasting impression on me. I like honesty in book reviews but not out and out snarkiness so I'm going to have to work through this a little. Needless to say, this lack of books to review at this time kind of throws a wrench into the whole book blog thing, right? That, and I've got significantly less time on my hands this week and possibly even less time on my hands in the near future. I need to learn some balance between the reading of the blogs, the reading of the books, and the writing of the book reviews and/or mindless drivel that fills the pages of the blog you see before you now.

This week was (un)exciting because I quasi-started my new job. This means, of course, that I was subjected to two full days of nearly pointless orientation wherein a vast assortment of people enlightened me and about 60 other people about matters that have little relevance to me while speaking in dull monotone voices. As if this weren't exciting enough, said boring speeches were accompanied by always exciting informational videos telling us through ridiculously exaggerated scenarios that people don't like to go to the doctor because of the miserable customer service they experience there, that I really shouldn't spew peoples' confidential health information to everyone I know, and, of course, how to wash your hands properly. A monkey probably knows these things without being told but the "elite" new members of one of the larger healthcare providers in Pennsylvania need to have this things expounded upon at great length. The good news is, I am getting paid, I did get a free lunch that was rather very good, and I did get my daily workout hiking to and from their vast parking lot on the side of a mountain (in 50 MPH winds, through 4 feet of snow, with no shoes...or am I getting carried away?). It should be noted that I also almost did manage to lose my mother's car, which is not difficult considering it is a green Chevy Cavalier, which is owned by 1 out of every 9 people in north-eastern Pennsylvania (and possibly the continental United States). But yes, you'll be happy (or maybe completely apathetic) to know that having jumped through 48 hoops, jumped 75 hurdles, and listened to about 10 hours of mind-numbingly obvious information I am now sufficiently eligible to wait by my phone which will hopefully one day soon ring and result in the offer of a temporary job in an immense hospital system of which I have little practical knowledge. Someday someone will ask me how on earth I got my start working in the healthcare field to which I will respond, "I don't know, I guess it just happened," which will be both true and wildly ironic.

Now, I promised myself I wouldn't write my once weekly novella here this week (at which I appear to failing), so I'll stop ranting here and briskly move on to the good news.



On my first time requesting, I have been granted a advance copy of Have You Found Her by Janice Erlbaum from the fine folks at LibraryThing and Random House through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. It sounds like a great read, and I look forward to reading and reviewing it both there and here!

1 comment:

  1. Fortunately, you have a chatty, engaging writing style that makes it easy to be drawn into your "novella." :)

    But I understand the blog blahs and the reading blahs and the need to balance reading books and blogs with writing.

    ReplyDelete