Saturday, October 20, 2007

Some of us read, some of us just buy books....

Today was a lovely fall day, and I spent it shopping. There was a small library book sale this morning, and I can never seem to resist uh.... supporting the library. Who doesn't love to pick up wish list books at the paltry sum of 50 cents a piece? I got 10, and my mom got 5 or 6...two of which piqued my interest, which is always good since we tend to make our book collection almost entirely shared. After that we headed off to Muncy to partake in a tasty coffee drink at the Seattle's Best at Borders (where I - much to my credit - didn't buy any more books), to scout out some Life Is Good clothes on sale (which is almost as common as pigs flying or hell freezing over - so naturally this endeavor failed), and to swing by the consumerist fantasy (or is it nightmare?) that is Sam's Club to buy chicken in bulk. Adding to the excitement was a moment of terror wrought by my dad's locking the keys in the car. Luckily, with a shout of "Don't panic! It's no big deal!" I was able to save the day with the help of my cell phone and my AAA card. Definitely getting my money's worth out of that one.

And now, the important stuff. A brief rundown of my most recent book acquisition...

Strange Fits of Passion - Anita Shreve
Go Ask Alice - Anonymous
Until I Find You - John Irving
The True Story of Hansel and Gretel - Louise Murphy (a duplicate copy for my permanent collection. Yay!)
The Best of Friends - Sara James and Ginger Mauney
Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortensen and David Oliver Relin
Second Glance - Jodi Picoult
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim - David Sedaris
Bastard Out of Carolina - Dorothy Allison
A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray
The Mercy of Thin Air - Ronlyn Domingue
The Art of Mending - Elizabeth Berg

In other news, I'm pretty inspired by all the folks doing the 24 hour readathon and plan on stopping by and doing some unofficial cheerleading. I love to read, but 24 hours is quite the committment! Nonetheless, they're all making me think that I could be doing a great deal more of reading than I am - even if it's far shorter than 24 hours in a row. I have the attention span of a flea these days and seem to always be able to find an excuse to not read, which is a crying shame considering I do get such enjoyment out of it. So here's to reading! You can see what the readathon is all about and go visit the participants here.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! Sounds like you had some good buys today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice haul! I read Go Ask Alice over 30 years ago and it has stuck with me all this time. I've also read A Great and Terrible Beauty - really enjoyed it! Aren't book sales the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good haul. Now that you've had a few days to savor them, what are you reading first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge John Irving fan, but I felt that Until I Find You was a waste of time. Maybe you'll like it better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sparkly new books need a little more time to be looked at and er...visually enjoyed before I dig into the reading part. Besides, going on a book binge has a way of making me feel guilty for neglecting all the other yummy looking books on my shelves... so, obviously, I dug out something that's been languishing on the shelves for awhile to read next! =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Ask Alice was practically required reading in HS when I was there. And I didn't care for the Sedaris book. Saw no humor in it at all. The others I'm not familiar with.

    I love book shopping. It's my one extravagance. And there's nothing wrong with adding to Mount TBR. That's what it was created for, after all.

    I really like your blog. If you don't mind, I think I'll add it to my blog list.

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey CJ!

    Thanks! I like your blog, too. =)

    I'd love to be on your list, and will gladly put yours on mine!

    ReplyDelete