Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Want to Reread

This week's topic for The Broke and Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday involves something I don't do a whole lot of - rereading. I've always been the sort of reader that's kind of once and done. I read a book, and then, much more often than not, I give it away rather than holding on to it. With so many great new books coming out every day and only so long of a life in which to read them, I'll admit that often, to me, rereading seems like a waste of precious time. That said, there are a few books (and whole series!) that I'd like to revisit sometime when (as they always seem to) my priorities change and I'm thirsting for something I know I've loved and stand to get more out of on a second reading.

1. The Harry Potter Books by J.K. Rowling - I know bloggers who have already reread these several times, maybe once for each new book coming out, or for the debut of a new Harry Potter movie. I've been tempted to do likewise, but have never really made the time, but I plan on it someday!

2. The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue - I actually gave this book an "award" for making me want to re-read it the moment I was finished with it. It's a fantastic lit fiction book about changelings with oodles of layers and nuance that I'm sure I could get even more out of on second reading. In fact, the author even sent me an extra copy so I can have the privilege of re-reading it. How awesome is that?

3. The Other Side of You by Salley Vickers - Another book I loved with lots of layers that could totally benefit from a second reading.

4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I read and liked this book when I was in middle school, but I'd love to revisit it as an adult.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - This is another classic that I read when I was much younger. Everybody seems to love it so much, but I don't recall being that impressed. I think reading it again as a grown-up would give it a much fairer shake.

6. The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques - I read a bunch of this series about the noble and heroic animals of Redwall Abbey when I was younger. I loved them and their great feasts and quaint way of speaking. I made my Dad read them. I have a few left to read in the series, but I feel like I need a refresher first.

7. East of Eden by John Steinbeck - I read and loved East of Eden in high school. I haven't read a Steinbeck before or since that I've enjoyed as much, but I barely even remember the bare bones of the plot. Time for a reread!

8. The Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder - I was crazy about these books as a kid. Crazy about them! A few years ago I finally gave them away, and now I desperately wish I hadn't. So many memories.

9. Insomnia by Stephen King - I went through a major horror phase in high school, and what's horror without Stephen King? I recall Insomnia being one of my favorites. I was totally fascinated by all the auras and things. If I can't revisit this one, I'd at least like to get back in touch with some new Stephen King books.

10. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene - One of my favorites of high school required reading. It's one of those books that impressed me with its ability to put a little hope in a hopeless situation.

What books are you hoping to reread?

10 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to reread all the In Death books by J.D.Robb. She has 2 new ones out that I haven't gotten around to yet. I would love to get around to rereading the whole series again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-read the Harry Potter series this summer in anticipation of the final movie. Like you, I am not much of a re-reader, but enjoying this series all over again, made me realize the value of revisiting books. Of course, I haven't re-read anything since. . . :P

    -jehara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reread the Laura Ingalls Wilder books lately (well, you know, 10 years ago as opposed to 20 or even 30) and I almost loved them more than when I was a kid. I think I borrowed them from the library... Must see if I can get hold of them before the lass is old enough to start reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Red Wall series when I was younger! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of The Redwall Series, but sounds intriguing!
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love redwall--you don't see that on the blog-o-sphere too often. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished my first Graham Greene novel last night (Brighton Rock) and have been recommended the Power and the Glory to read next so it's nice to see such a positive comment on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely agree when it comes to Harry Potter. Potterhead forever!

    But it's always nice to find out that someone else loves the Little House on the Prairie series too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have a few on my list to reread, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn being one of them, as well as the Little House series. But, my favorites to reread are The Secret History and The Robber Bride. I can't exactly say why, I just love the mood created by each of these. Also, of course, I reread the Bible over and over. But maybe that doesn't qualify in a list of fiction? :)

    ReplyDelete