Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Dose of Random Randomness

- I went to get my oil changed on Tuesday before work. I took 9 packaged books along to mail at the post office between the oil and the working. However, for the first time in months, I forgot to put a book in my bag for me to read. I felt bereft all day. And what is it that people who don't read do on their lunch breaks? Just eat?!? Underachievers!

- I went to the grocery store after church on Sunday. I got a big salad from their salad bar....and a cake. The checkout lady laughed at me.

- I went to the drug store yesterday morning to buy, ahem, some feminine hygiene products. Mysteriously, a Nestle Crunch bar appeared on the counter next to them. That checkout lady laughed at me too and insisted that the latter was just as or more important than the former. She exhorted me to eat it slowly. Then I laughed at her.

- A guy from my town is a finalist in the cartoon caption contest on the last page of the New Yorker this week. Why do I feel like a traitor because I like the caption the guy from Bend, Oregon sent better?

- I love all the excitement surrounding the release of book prize long lists, yet, I rarely actually read the books. Here's lookin' at you, Booker Prize longlist. I would probably enjoy reading all of your titles, but I won't, because I just don't.

- Tomorrow I'll be posting my first book review of a book aimed at an adult audience since...June 14th! How did that happen?

6 comments:

  1. Megan, This post made me smile. I can totally relate. If I were you and was left without a book, I would have opened one of those (9) packages, and then mailed the book later...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you were lost without a book on Tuesday. I know my husband eats with co-workers and then walks during his lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I never read the prize list books either. Actually, I don't even look a the lists. :) Does that make me a bad reader?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I'm lost whenever I somehow wind up without my purse book! Not sure what to do & wind up staring at the wall. *L*

    Thanks for the smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have a lot of judgmental clerks in your town! Don't they understand the importance of CHOCOLATE? ;)

    I also kind of want to read all the books on the Booker long list, but, uh, only like three are available here. So I couldn't if I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm laughing at your claim of "underachievers!" I always read at breakfast and lunch when I'm sitting by myself (or if J is sitting across from me, reading the paper in the morning), but I put my book aside and converse w/the kids if they're there. At dinner we are all book-free!

    ReplyDelete