Sunday, May 3, 2009

Picking Cotton: Our Memoir of Injustice and Redemption by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino and Ronald Cotton

I've been excited to talk about this book since I finished it, so excited in fact, that I've actually been talking to people about it instead of writing a review. So, I'm going to cut the yammering and try and get straight to the book review today, especially since we've seen so few of such things here lately!


In July 1984, Jennifer Thompson was raped at knifepoint by a black man in her own apartment. With courage and words, she survived and was able to use her memories of the night to bring her rapist to trial. In January 1985, her supposed rapist, Ronald Cotton, was sentenced to life in prison plus fifty years. Eleven long years later he was set free based on DNA evidence that proved that he was innocent of the crime. Now Ronald and Jennifer are what no one would expect - friends.

Picking Cotton is first a brilliant indictment of the flaws in our justice system, flaws based on the inability of humans to ever be completely impartial, completely unprejudiced, and completely able to rely on their memories to perform dependably. It shows that despite our best efforts and intentions, the justice system can and does fail, and when it does, innocent people can surprisingly easily be put in prison for crimes they haven't committed. At the same time, though, Picking Cotton is about a victim, a victim each and every one us can sympathize with. A victim who just desperately wants to see her rapist go to jail so that she can stop existing in a constant terror and start living her life again. A victim who will do anything she can to make that happen, even if it means relying on a faulty memory.

Above all, however, Picking Cotton is a transcendent story of forgiveness. Just as we hear from the victim and easily sympathize with her feelings, we also get the story from the man that she picked, the man that she helped to send to jail for her rape, the wrong man. In his own words, we follow Ronald Cotton through his eleven years of wrongful imprisonment, eleven years in which he managed to stay alive, to stay out of trouble despite being imprisoned with the man who he's certain actually committed the crime that has robbed him of his life, and to never give up hope that the truth would come to light and he would be exonerated. And yet, even after being robbed of eleven years of his life, when Jennifer requests a meeting with him, her heartfelt apology is met with his heartfelt forgiveness making Picking Cotton the story of the the unlikeliest pair of friends that can be imagined.

In her blurb on the front cover, Janet Reno comments on the "human face" this book puts on the many issues facing the justice system, and I couldn't agree more. There are innumerable scholarly books on just such issues, but this book highlights those and does so much more by taking us inside a real story of two people both horribly wronged by the justice system. The writing really flows, the story is raw with the power to completely engage both readers' minds and emotions, and I heartily recommend it to...well...everyone.

Thanks to Anna at Authors on the Web for providing me with a review copy.

10 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book and almost bought it the other day. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing story! Thank you for reviewing this book and bringing it to our attention...it sounds fascinating :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a criminal defense attorney, I work my butt off every day to make sure things like this don't happen. Sometimes, they happen anyway, despite our best intentions. I have this book on my TBR list, but I'm moving it up immediately! Thanks for the insightful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a powerful read. I'm going to look for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was a real eye-opener for me. I'm still amazed at how much good can potentially come from the experiences of these two people as they continue to tell their story and use what happened to them to help get more innocent people released from prison. Cotton's level of compassion and forgiveness is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review -- I'm giving away a copy to readers on my blog today www.stlworkingmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Megan, I've been left in tears just reading your review. Thank you so much. I hadn't heard of this book before, but I guarantee I will be picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog you got here. I'd like to read more concerning this theme. Thanks for posting this information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty interesting blog you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

    Bella Swenson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty interesting site you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

    Julia Benedict

    ReplyDelete