Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pub 08 Challenge Completed



I simply had to post about this. The Pub '08 challenge is the one and the only of all the challenges I've attempted this year that I've actually completed. Actually, I completed it with flying colors reading some 17 books published in 2008 when the minimum required was 8 and reviewing all but one of them. I hear there's a Pub '09 challenge on tap for next year, so I guess I'll have to join that, too. Then maybe I'll be able to say that I succeeded at *two* challenges, but then I probably shouldn't start counting chickens before they're hatched...

Anyhow, here's the wrap-up...

Non-Fiction

Have You Found Her by Janice Erlbaum
The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur by Daoud Hari
The Cactus Eaters by Dan White
Black Wave by Jean and John Silverwood
Queen of the Road by Doreen Orion
A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs
Home Girl by Judith Matloff
Tears of the Desert by Halima Bashir


Fiction

Widows of Eden by George Shaffner
Three Girls and Their Brother by Theresa Rebeck
The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton
Ellington Boulevard by Adam Langer
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything by Janelle Brown
Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan
Sweetsmoke by David Fuller
When We Were Romans by Matthew Kneale
Aberrations by Penelope Przekop


My favorites are tough to choose as there are a bunch of really good books here, but I'd have to go with Sweetsmoke for fiction and Tears of the Desert for non-fiction, but if I broke my categories down any more than that I would just continue picking favorites until I had a huge list. Keep your eye out for the Second Annual Leafy Awards if go in for huge lists.

My least favorites? Probably Black Wave for non-fiction and Aberrations for fiction. Both books had their good qualities but didn't work as a whole for me.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing the Pub Challenge this year. I really wish I had signed up for that one, but I didn't think I'd manage it. If only I knew what I know now. :-)

    I hope to read Tears of the Desert and Sweetsmoke one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Like Literary Feline, I didn't sign up for this one because I didn't think I really read uber-current books. But I think I do!

    ReplyDelete