Friday, November 2, 2007

It's a slippery slope...

All right, so it seems that, until recently, I had been the last internet loving book junkie to not catalog my books online in some way that doesn't include BookCrossing. All of the evil bloggers (and I mean evil in the nicest kind of way) with their shiny, pretty Library Thing widgets showing random samples of their libraries have been wearing me down and wearing me down...and down. Slowly I approached the Library Thing, wandering by the site every other day or so thinking, "I could just give it a try. See if it's so great. I certainly won't ever need to pay for it. No, no I don't need it at all. The Bookcrossing and the books and the blogs, not to mention a vast amount of free (but often subpar) periodicals that have begun to flood our mailbox as a result of a strange Delta Skymile rip-off (or is it?) is plenty to do. I don't need anything else to keep me busy. Really, I'll pass."

But the pretty, shiny widgets...they're everywhere. And the people with their early reviewer books from there that look all shiny and pretty and scrumptious, they're everywhere, too, it seems. So every few days I found myself wandering casually by the site thinking "Oh that looks like fun, I could... - No, I don't need it!" Until, as is the case with anything having to do with books, my resolve began to weaken until in a series of supremely weak-willed moment I found myself signing up...and adding my books...and making my profile all pretty and informative...and, finally, this morning, paying my $25 lifetime fee to be able to catalog all the books I feel to be necessary. And now I need it. And I love it. And it's a good deal of fun.

What's wrong with me? Why is it that I can hold myself back from pretty much anything else...food, clothes, music, movies...but I have no control over myself when it comes to books and book-related gizmos?

Hello, my name is Megan, and I really am obsessed with books.

No comments:

Post a Comment